IT Technician – Byron Center, MI
IT Technician II
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc
Location: Byron Center, MI
Background: Northwest Hardwoods is a world-class, integrated, global supplier of wood products to the furniture, cabinet, molding and millwork industries. We serve the industrial market segment worldwide. We are searching for a world class candidate to join our team. This position reports directly to the IT Mill Operations Manager.
The IT technician position primarily provides front line support for all IT users in the company. The position handles help desk tickets and triages issues to resolution. Travel to remote sites to troubleshoot and resolve issues as directed. This may include installing, modifying and making minor repairs to computer hardware and software systems, printer drivers, new user set up and provides technical advice and support to system users on a wide range of applications. The individual should also have a broad-base understanding of business applications and support. The ideal candidate will possess an ability to troubleshoot issues from simple desktop support problems to basic networking issues. Customer communication skills and friendly personality (this is a client facing position).
Manages IT user issues to resolution through the defined business ticketing system. As a member of the help desk services staff, responds to IT user issues on site or over the phone. Investigates error messages and determines resolution. Other items may include:
- Must be an excellent communicator who is detail oriented
- Support highly distributed VDI environment (AWS)
- Support distributed network with challenging connectivity
- Experience in a software support environment with high support call volumes and large numbers of clients and users
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the company’s products through continuous study and experience
- Assists in developing user documentation and departmental policies and procedures that impact the use of application systems.
- Carry out diagnostic troubleshooting for users when required to resolve technical problems that involve business applications (Lumbertrack, LIMS, GP) and 3rd party programs, or hardware infrastructure. (This includes Windows Active Directory support, DNS, hardware diagnostics, and overall performance analysis)
- User onboarding and offboarding
- Install hardware and peripheral components such as monitors, keyboards and printers
- Load appropriate software packages such as operating systems, networking components and office applications
- Support of various programs and files that are causing errors
- Participate in rotating 24/7 on-call
- 8×8 or Zoom support
- Respond to network log on issues. Investigates appropriate areas of potential problem and determines resolution
- Provide telephone, in-person and online support to end-users
- Coordinate activities with network services and information systems groups
- Provide updates, status and completion information to manager and/or users, via voice mail, e-mail or in-person communication
- Refer major hardware problems to service personnel for correction
- Assist in research and procurement of computer accessories and supplies
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Travel is required, but should not exceed 3-5 days per month
- High School Diploma
- Two years of relevant work experience
- Active Directory experience
- Must have ability to exercise independent judgment in planning, organizing, and performing systems administration tasks. Some independent judgment required in setting priorities of tasks among multiple assigned projects
The company provides competitive wages, comprehensive benefits package with medical, vision and dental health care coverage, short and long term disability, paid vacation/holidays, mileage reimbursement and company matching 401 (K) retirement plan.
Candidates who meet these qualifications will be considered further.
To apply please submit your resume and letter of interest for consideration.
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status